Friday, May 06, 2005

Video Killed the Music Blog Star


Remember that classic music video that changed your life? Sure you do!
This week, blog readers recall their most memorable music videos by answering the Friday Question.
Kerstin H. -- "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" by Culture Club.
"Boy George had a new kind of dancing, like he was stepping on stepping stones spread too far apart."
Clete C. -- "Thriller" by Michael Jackson.
"It broke all the rules."
Dave B. -- "Home Sweet Home" by Motley Crue.
"I am going to preface my answer with: I am not a metal head at all. Growing up in Peosta (Iowa), we did not have cable. Move to the big city (Cedar Rapids, Iowa) to go to college, I get cable. My roommates and I would live our lives around MTV's Top 5 at 5. 'Home Sweet Home' was the No. 1 video for what felt like my whole college career. It was No. 1 for 43 weeks. That's 301 straight days seeing that video and praying some other video would beat it out before MTV said enough is enough."
Emily S. -- "Hey Ya" by OutKast.
"If I could marry Andre3000, I would. And in that music video, there are, like, five of him, so imagine my enjoyment. 'What's cooler that being cool? Ice cold!'"
Ellen B. -- "Thriller" by Michael Jackson.
"I used to have posters of him all over the bedroom walls!"
Emily B. -- "Fat" by Weird Al Yankovic.
"I thought it was so funny."
Ann M. -- "Thriller" by Michael Jackson.
"I was so scared the first time I saw it."
Mike D. -- "Anxiety: The Video Reunion" by Anxiety or "Take on Me" by a-ha.
"It was either 'Anxiety: The Video Reunion,' a compilation of songs from Dubuque's hair band of the 80s, or a-ha's 'Take on Me,' a unique storytelling blend of live-action video with animated pencil drawings. Much more memorable than the song. Of course, Peter Gabriel's 'Sledgehammer' wasn't bad either."
Gary D. -- "Jumpin' Jack Flash" by the Rolling Stones.
"The original is difficult to find. But, if you see it, you see the combination of psychedelic look and hard, guitar-driven rock and roll. Combines the best of both worlds."
Diane H. -- "Right Now" by Van Halen.
"It came out when I was a sophomore or junior in college, and I would sit and watch the entire video every time it came on MTV. It was a series of random images to go with random 'deep thoughts' that all began with the phrase 'right now.'
I still remember a lot of them: Right now it's cold where someone you love is. Right now your mother misses you. Right now she is getting on with her life. Right now a bowl of soup would be nice. Right now oil companies and old men are in control. Right now youth is king. Right now no one is safe from loneliness."

Inger H. -- "Rio" by Duran Duran.
"At the time, I thought it was extremely artistic; in retrospect, it probably reads like a commercial for white suits."
Jim S. -- "Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles.
"I don't watch music videos much, but I do remember watching the first one, 'Video Killed the Radio Star,' by the Buggles, when it came out. What is memorable? I predicted a TV music channel would never make it."

Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home