Friday, April 29, 2005

'Scuse me while I kiss this guy


What did they just say?
Today's Friday Question seeks the funniest misheard lyric our readers have encountered. Entire Web sites have been devoted to misheard lyrics (also known as "mondegreens").
Here are some of those musical moments that make you think: What did they just say?
Amy G. -- "I worked as a Perkins waitress when Michael Jackson's 'Billie Jean' came out. One dopey busboy thought the words were 'Village Inn' instead of 'Billie Jean.' We spent a lot of time singing, 'Village Inn, has good pancakes...' a waitron's subliminal subterfuge in the dog-eat-dog world of breakfast restaurants. A guy I know thought 'big old jet airliner' was 'big old Chad at the lighthouse.' I have no explanation for that one. Personally, I still don't know the words to 'Blinded by the Light.' You know the part I'm talking about.
Jill H. -- "Listening to my sister scream at the top of her lungs in the camper: 'Take me down to the yellow aces' (instead of 'oasis,' from 'Friends in Low Places')."
Dave B. -- "'Play that f**king music white boy.' I always wondered my White Cherry could cuss on (radio station) D93, and no other band could."
Clete C. -- "For the longest time, I thought 'In-a-gadda-da-vida, baby' was 'Any gotta a weed-a, baby.'"
Diane H. -- "I am sure I've misheard plenty of lyrics in my time, but perhaps funnier is the fact that when I was about 10 and (inexplicably) had a magazine picture of them taped to my wall, I thought their name was 'Haulin' Oats.' It was much later that I realized it was Hall and Oates. In my defense, I did grow up on a farm, and people really do haul oats."
Scout S. -- "In high school, my best friend Tim and I would drive around town singing along to various records. One day it was the Clash. When the band sang, on 'Rock the Casbah,' 'shareef don't like it, thinks it's not kosher' my friend Tim sang, in all seriousness: 'Shareef don't like it, SIX O'CLOCK TOE SHOW!' and I looked at him and asked, did you just say 'six o'clock toe show?' and he said, 'yeah, of course I did, why?' as though it was the most obvious lyric ever written. Which it is, of course."
Ken B. -- "'Hold me closer, Tony Danza' ('Tiny Dancer') and 'Let's get Biblical' ('Physical')."
Jim S. -- "Here are a couple of mine: 'Everybody's playin' pool' instead of 'Everbody plays the fool,' Main Ingredient (1972) and 'Virgin!' instead of 'Urgent,' Foreigner (1981).
Erik H (me!) -- "When I was a slightly hard-of-hearing child, before I grew into a slightly hard-of-hearing adult, I could have sworn Jimi Hendrix was singing 'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.' Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, it seemed entirely plausible that Hendrix had penned an ode to same-sex companionship, and I never said anything for fear of seeming intolerant (so that's how political correctness got started!) Still, I was relieved when somebody helpfully pointed out that Jimi just wanted to kiss the sky."

Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home