Monday, May 02, 2005

That mellow thighed chick just put my spine out of place


The author Nicholas Pegg sums up glam in his FANTASTIC reference book, "The Complete David Bowie."
I have been immersed in classic glam rock these days.
My birthday is tomorrow and I want to celebrate with a glittering mix of glam-rock classics from 1970-1974.
You cannot conceive of a glam-rock mix without David Bowie, so I have been listening to "Ziggy Stardust" and "Aladdin Sane" and reading Pegg's book for additional inspiration.
Pegg's description of "Ziggy Stardust" easily serves as a succinct definition for the music of glam rock:
"A vigorous restatement of the three-minute pop perfected by childhood heroes of the 1950s, filtered through the electric soundscape of the early 1970s."
That's exactly what I love about glam: In the midst of the extended guitar solos and ego-driven virtuosity of progressive rock, glam offered three-minute blasts of rock-n-roll fun.
Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home