Sunday, May 15, 2005

Baggies make history


Amazing!
Today West Bromwich Albion became the first club to avoid relegation up after being bottom at Christmas since the Premiership began. The Baggies beat visitng Portsmouth, 2-0, while other results also favored West Brom.
I support Sheffield Wednesday now (please don't ask me why) but WBA were my club as a kid growing up as a hopeless ANGLOPHILE in northern California.
I still have a scarf that I have kept from my younger days.
Norwich City were fourth from bottom and safe in the Premier League when the day began. Fulham thumped them 6-0 in a match I watched on Fox Sports Channel. Southampton scored in the 10th minute against Manchester United to briefly move out of the relegation zone. Malcolm Glazer's new plaything won it, 2-1, though, to send the Saints out of the top flight for the first time in 27 years. Sad.
Visiting Crystal Palace led for a time against Charlton but the Addicks scored a late equaliser to send the Eagles down. Bad luck.
I'm proud of the Baggies, though. Bryan Robson is the perfect manager for them. I hope they consolidate their position next season.
In the meantime... come on, Sheffield Wednesday... win some playoff matches and move up the pyramid!
Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home