Wednesday, May 11, 2005

No, no Tyler... not yet, not yet!


I spent my lunch hour watching my Spike Jonze DVD. He is hands down my favorite music video director.
One of his best, but perhaps least known, videos is the clip for Fatlip's "What's up, Fatlip." Today I watched an audio commentary spelling out the creation of this clip.
Fatlip (aka Derrick Stewart) had been a member of L.A.'s influential Pharcyde. "What's up Fatlip," the title track from his 2000 album, is not your typical hip-hop song. Instead of bragging about himself, Fatlip's self-deprecating take on his life includes references to his failings and shortcomings.
The video is equally hilarious and I highly recommend it.
Here are three little-known facts about the video:
1. That boy kicking Fatlip in the privates to start the video is Stewart's nephew. "He is my co-star," Fatlip said in the audio commentary.
2. The video includes an unexpected visit to the home of Fatlip's mom.
"She never lets me forget it," Fatlip said. "Whenever she hears his name, like on an ad for 'Adaptation,' she says 'that's that boy who came over when I wasn't dressed.'"
3. Friends who did not know about the video shoot (and failed to see Jonze holding a camera) became concerned when they saw Fatlip dancing outside a club wearing only a trenchcoat and a diaper.
Well, wouldn't you become concerned?
Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home