Friday, May 13, 2005

Who let the King out? Who!? Who!? Who!?

Today's FRIDAY QUESTION seeks blog readers' favorite Elvis Presley songs.
Here is what you had to say:
Inger H. -- "'Heartbreak Hotel.' I remember hearing it spool out of a nearby radio on a warm summer evening while I was visiting some friends who were camping by the Mississippi River. There, amidst the mosquitoes and the thick humid air, the tall leafy trees and the sound of a screen door slamming shut. All of a sudden, Elvis made sense to me. Up until that point, I'll admit it, the allure of Elvis was totally lost on me; a throwback, a cliche, a white trash crooner. But in that place, at that time, everything made sense."
Amy G. -- "My favorite Elvis song is linked to a memory of when some friends got married at the Little Church of the West in Las Vegas (where Richard Gere married Cindy Crawford to prove he wasn't gay.) They had an Elvis impersonator who sang 'Fools Rush In' while sort of swaggering down the aisle like a bridesmaid. I loved it. The marriage lasted about as long as Richard and Cindy's.
Ellen B. -- "'Blue Suede Shoes.' It's just a good song to groove to!"
Gary D. -- "I have got two of them. 'Hound Dog,' because I love the way Elvis' voice resonates during it. That song just works so well with Elvis' voice and stage presentation. Plus, the Rolling Stones did a kickass version of it live. Also 'Kentucky Rain.' I know it is not a favorite of many, but again, his voice is filled with so much emotion, and the deepness of the sound through the speakers is awesome."
Ann M. -- "'Jailhouse Rock.' I am not really sure why."
Annika H. -- "'Teddy Bear' and 'Hound Dog.' Who let the dogs out, who!? who!? who!?"
Mike D. -- "'I Can't Help Falling in Love With You.' The King took us beyond rebellious rock 'n' roll with a romantic tune that showcased his rich, mellow voice. Although I am not fond of the slide guitar twang that punctuates a few lines, I liked the song enough to choose it for the 'parents dance' at our wedding reception."
Rick T. -- "My favorite Elvis song is 'You're so Young and Beautiful' from the movie 'Jailhouse Rock.' That's the best Elvis song from all of his movies."
Madelin F. -- "My favorite Elvis song is 'Can't Help Falling in Love.' I like this one because so many others have tried and failed to do it as well as the King, plus it's just a really pretty song."
Diane H. -- "'Devil in Disguise.' I like the change of tempo in the chorus, and I like the idea of some chick who looks like an angel but then kicks the sh!t out of somebody's heart. But it's hard not to choose 'Viva Las Vegas,' because has any town ever had a cooler theme song?"
Scout S. -- "I don't have a favorite Elvis Presley song. I have a favorite Elvis Presley stamp, though. It was the fat Elvis one that got rejected."
Mary P. -- "'Jailhouse Rock.' It is one of his most energetic and whimsical songs."
Matt K. -- "'In the Ghetto.' Reminds me of my boyhood struggles in the scarred suburbs of Potosi, Wis. -- a slum so hopeless that those who made it out could never fully call themselves human."
Kerstin H. -- "'Teddy Bear.' I like animals and it reminds me of sleeping."
Jill H. -- "Any Elvis song, as long as it is played on a 33-1/3 in my dad's basement with him singing along at the top of his lungs."
Mary Rae B. -- "'Rainy Night in Georgia.' I like the sound of it and his voice had matured by then."
Emily S. -- "'Don't be Cruel.' I am not really sure why. The song has a good point, though."
Erik H. (me!) -- "I adore the songs cut in 1954-55 at Sun Records. 'Good Rockin' Tonight,' in particular, serves as a broadside to all music fans: Here is the exciting new sound you have been seeking! However, my favorite Elvis moment in song occurred in 1961, with the release of the double-A side single '(Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame' paired with 'Little Sister.' Elvis rocks again! He took a break from his post-Army litany of string-laden ballads and oddball movie tunes to shake his hips along to some burning electric guitars and primitive, tom-tom drumming.
Americans were relatively clueless. This double dose of classic rock-n-roll peaked at No. 4 on the U.S. charts. In Britain, '(Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame' and 'Little Sister' topped the charts for a month and probably gave increased, rockin' impetus to the next generation of bands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home