Thursday, August 15, 2013

Celebrating India through cricket and film

INDIA celebrates its INDEPENDENCE DAY today, and I've been celebrating Indian culture lately.
I continue to read RAMACHANDRA GUHA'S excellent "A CORNER OF A FOREIGN FIELD." More than a history of Indian cricket, the book takes a close look at how cricket fit into Indian culture as the country moved from colony to sovereign nation, as well as how the communalism of a popular cricket tournament forecast the Partition to come.
I also ordered a BOLLYWOOD classic, "GUMNAAM," from Amazon.
Seven people win a free vacation in this 1965 horror musical, only to find themselves abandoned in a remote, haunted seaside mansion.
I can't wait to see it. I'm already familiar with the film's fantastic music.
"Jaan Pehechan Ho" is the film's signature tune, if only because it also plays during the opening credits of the American film, "Ghost World." It is sung by the incomparably Mohammed Rafi.
"Peeke Hum Tum Jo" is another memorable number from the film (pictured), sung by Asha Bhosle and Usha Mangeshkar
One of my favorite numbers from "Gumnaam" is "Hum Kaale Hain To," sung by Mohammed Rafi but featuring the great Indian comic actor Mehmood.
I should receive the DVD this weekend, when I will continue my own personal celebration of India and its culture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home