Wednesday, March 13, 2013

You know it makes sense: Film composers emerging from inventive bands

I suppose in hindsight it makes sense, but at the time I had no idea that the frontmen of three of the most wildly inventive bands of my youth -- MARK MOTHERSBAUGH OF DEVO, DANNY ELFMAN OF OINGO BOINGO and CLINT MANSELL OF POP WILL EAT ITSELF -- would eventually emerge as lauded film composers.
I certainly couldn't envision "Jocko Homo" evolving into "The Royal Tenenbaums" soundtrack, "Only a Lad" evolving into the "Edward Scissorhands" soundtrack or "Def. Con. One" evolving into "The Fountain" soundtrack.
I'm listening to Pop Will Eat Itself today, recalling how the STOURBRIDGE band combined rock, rap and dance music well before many of their contemporaries.
I guess that's why it shouldn't surprise me that the leaders of these three bands should grow into composers roles -- they always seemed to be pushing against musical boundaries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home