Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Hoping the Bucs can snap their losing streak

Cloudy... gloomy... still unseasonably cold.
No wonder I listened to SPRING TRAINING BASEBALL to help me relax last night.
I tuned in to the PITTSBURGH PIRATES and the TAMPA BAY RAYS.
The Rays beat the Pirates, 6-2, in one of the last remaining games before the start of the regular season -- when the games count.
Although I'm a lifelong SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS fan, I'll be rooting for the Pirates to win more games than they lose.
The Bucs are in the midst of a 20-year stretch of losing seasons, and the franchise deserves to snap that futility steak.
I actually find the 20 years of losing somewhat surprising. The Pirates of my youth dominated their competition with Bay Area star Willie "Pops" Stargell leading a squad that included Dave Parker and former Giants Bill Madlock and Tim Foli.
Apart from star outfielder Andrew McCutchen, the current crop of Bucs -- including Russell Martin, Jose Tabata and Neil Walker -- seem a far cry from the players of Pittsburgh's glory days.
Still, I hope they have enough in them to win more than they lose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home