Saturday, September 15, 2012

"The Killing" continues to impress

I'll never forget the first time I saw "THE KILLING," the innovative heist film by STANLEY KUBRICK.
It blew me away.
I couldn't believe the fragmented narrative style, in which the details of the heist are revealed by a succession of different characters' perspectives (QUENTIN TARANTINO was certainly watching and learning).
I couldn't believe the extreme double-crossing in the plot of this FILM NOIR.
I couldn't believe it didn't really make money on its release, either, and had to build its fanbase with a growing, continuing cultlike following.
I first watched the film in college. My initial impressions came back to me last night, as I watched "The Killing" again on DVD.
My initial reactions to the film have only been cemented during the intervening years.
I clapped after seeing it last night, just as I did in the college theater. "The Killing" deserves its applause -- even if it's just me and a DVD player.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home