Thursday, September 13, 2012

Happy anniversary, New Gold Dream!

OK, now I feel old.
Today marks the 30th anniversary of an old friend of mine -- "NEW GOLD DREAM (81-82-83-84)," the fifth album by SIMPLE MINDS.
I feel old, because I purchased the album on vinyl when it came out, and although it sometimes seems like just yesterday, the calendar and today's milestone offers irrefutable proof that it was not.
The singles "PROMISED YOU A MIRACLE" and "GLITTERING PRIZE" preceded the album, and I loved every track.
"SOMEONE SOMEWHERE IN SUMMERTIME" kicks off the album that reached No. 3 in the UK and made an immediate and lasting impression on alternative music lovers in the United States -- like me.
Returning to tracks such as "HUNTER AND THE HUNTED," featuring a guest keyboard solo by jazz genius HERBIE HANCOCK, is like welcoming an old friend back into the fold.
I guess that's why I feel so old today. I realize just how "old" my "old friend" has become.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home