Monday, August 06, 2012

Marion Worth deserves more than a musical footnote

You can't find much online information about MARION WORTH, which is a shame.
She's the type of musician whose legacy threatens to become lost to the passage of time, despite the vast repository of information kept on servers around the world.
Sure, she has a WIKIPEDIA and other pages devoted to her biography.
The information sure seems scant, though, when I consider the beauty of her 1960 No. 7 country hit, "I THINK I KNOW."
"It seems that you don't love me, It seems that your arms have grown cold," Worth sings on the track, a classic country tale of lost love. "I've got to know, do you want me? Or have you found a new love to hold?"
Worth's 1999 obit referred to her as a "sultry ballad singer on the Grand Ole Opry for 17 years," but more impressively, as "one of the first country music performers to appear at Carnegie Hall."
I read her obit this evening after a long, tiring day at work, as I reveled in the beauty of "I Think I Know."
"I believe deep down you will hurt me, while with all my heart I pray 'No.'  Darling, will you stay, or will you leave?"
Worth proved to be a pioneer. Alongside Loretta Lynn and the recently deceased Kitty Wells, Worth proved a woman could perform beyond the role of background singer on a country music song.
Her living legacy earned her the nickname "Lady," but a search online yields only the basics of a life of song.
That's just unfair.
"Don't say it, don't tell me, I think I know."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home