Sunday, August 05, 2012

The link between At The Drive-In and my beloved jazz

Somebody hearing the tunes blaring out of my car stereo might be shocked.
The two might sound dissimilar initially, but the JAZZ I had been enjoying for days is actually close to the post-hardcore jams of AT THE DRIVE-IN that have dominated my personal soundtrack yesterday and today -- at least in musical approach.
"At The Drive-In developed an original sound by mixing the hardcore sounds of Fugazi and Bad Brains with progressive rock and a dash of pop," wrote music critic Eric Segalstad.
This mixing and blurring of sounds by band members Cedric Bixler-Zavala, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, Jim Ward, Paul Hinojos and Tony Hajjar is what draws me to At The Drive-In, and it's what links them with the creativity of jazz that I so admire.