Saturday, July 21, 2012

The magnetic Maddox Brothers & Rose

For the past several days I have been hopelessly enthralled by the exhilarating sounds of the MADDOX BROTHERS & ROSE.
Not that I'm complaining.
I've always loved the raucous early country of the Alabama-born CALIFORNIA combo touted as "America's Most Colorful Hillbilly Band."
There's a hint of rock and roll in the rockabilly numbers on the pair of ARHOOLIE RECORDS compilations I've been enjoying.
"Maddox Brothers & Rose were one of the postwar era's most hard-charging, forward-looking country bands," writes critic Jonny Whiteside. "The band, with their mix of southern folk music, contemporary western song, and roguish, black-influenced boogie, built an avid following."
I continue to follow the band's intoxicating mix.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home