Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Uncle Tupelo and a flawed premise to head west

I prepare for another trip west today.
As I left work yesterday, it dawned on me that the best way to move back to the PACIFIC COAST is to simply shorten the intervals between trips.
Eventually, the intervals would conceivably compress down to hours and minutes, and I would practically live in my native region once again.
I pondered this obviously ridiculous premise while walking the dog last night and listening to the fabulous UNCLE TUPELO albums "MARCH 16-20, 1992" and "ANODYNE."
Uncle Tupelo's premise seems so simple with hindsight: Revive Gram Parson's legacy while spicing the country music with a dash of Neil Young guitar noise.
Acting upon that premise blew open the doors for the acceptance of ALTERNATIVE COUNTRY.
It's just a shame, I think, that JAY FARRAR and JEFF TWEEDY couldn't maintain their friendship long enough to keep the band operating. Sure, we wouldn't have SON VOLT or WILCO, but wouldn't the world be a better place with more Uncle Tupelo?
That's a question I'll ponder tonight, during my next trip west.
Keep cutting down the intervals and see what happens -- that's my approach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home