Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Shocked introduction to the Euros

The latest WORLD SOCCER issue features a supplement detailing the history of the EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS in advance of this summer's edition.
As I read the supplement I recalled my introduction to the tournament.
I was in HOLLAND during the 1980 edition, won by WEST GERMANY.
I mostly recall the scenes of hooliganism provided by idiotic ENGLAND supporters.
England finished with a mediocre record on the pitch -- a win, a draw and a loss. Off the pitch, the team's supporters received the blackest of marks for behavior.
Accustomed to American sports and sports fans, I was frankly shocked to see such blatant fighting at a match.
I still have a Dutch soccer magazine relating the awful events. They remind me of my introduction to the Euros.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home