Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Storms, J.B. Lenoir and BiRtHdAy WeEk

I've always had an affinity for musicians slightly out of step with the mainstream -- I guess because I have always felt slightly out of step myself.
Today, BiRtHdAy WeEk continues as I listen to J.B. LENOIR, a flamboyant blues performer whose song choices veered from the mainstream, my-baby-done-me-wrong territory into a realm of biting, social and political commentary.
His "Eisenhower Blues" paints a vivid picture of how early 1950s economic priorities originating from the White House directly impacted his life. Not the typical subject matter pressed onto vinyl in those days.
Blues is also great to hear on rainy days, and storms woke up us an hour or so earlier than usual today.
I should write a blues about that -- "NOAA WEATHER RADIO WAKE ME UP TALKING BLUES."
Hang on, J.B.! I'm catching up with ya!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home