Monday, May 07, 2012

"Paul's Boutique" blows away my original dismissal

I listened to more BEASTIE BOYS in the car today, still rather shocked at the recent death of ADAM "MCA" YAUCH.
Today, I played "PAUL'S BOUTIQUE," and I readily admit the trio's second album -- packed with dense layers of sampling -- had to grow on me. I didn't fully appreciate the album when it originally debuted.
Now, it's hard not to be blown away.
I love how the producers, THE DUST BROTHERS, so cleverly employed the vast amount of samples at their disposal, ranging from the bassline to the EAGLES' "Those Shoes," used on "High Plains Drifter," to TOWER OF POWER'S "Drop it in the Slot," used on "Eggman."
My favorite track is probably "Year and a Day," one of the portions of "B-Boy Bouillabaisse." The song begins with a sample of "Ebony Jam" by Tower of Power and also features sampling of "Who's That Lady" by the ISLEY BROTHERS.
I listened to it on a walk when I got home. The song is majestic, as is the album I once -- mistakenly -- dismissed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home