Thursday, March 01, 2012

Davy Jones' legacy: Fun and warmth as well as music

Here is how the legacy of DAVY JONES struck me.
I was typing the news of the death of the MONKEES' star for a NEWSPAPER website post yesterday afternoon when "DAYDREAM BELIEVER" began emerging from my subconscious.
I began humming the song while writing. In my mind, it wasn't only the song that was "playing" in my head. It was the sparkling eyes and warm smile of the singer that seemed projected.
The extent to which the Monkees were a manufactured act -- one for which session players provided the true musical involvement -- seems particularly irrelevant to those of us who grew up watching and hearing them.
Their signature will always be one of laughter and warmth -- the aura of good times and friendship that seemed to accompany "Daydream Believer" while it played in my head as I typed.