Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Trash Can Sinatras, the coast and Third Lanark (R.I.P.)

I can never hear THE TRASH CAN SINATRAS without thinking of drives along the curving highway along the wind-swept coast of SONOMA COUNTY, CALIF.
No matter that FRANK READER and the rest of the band hailed from far-off IRVINE, SCOTLAND. I'll always associate the band and its brilliant debut album, "CAKE," with the coastal route because I listened to them constantly during summers off from college, driving along those roads to the beach.
I listened to the album, including the hits "Obscurity Knocks," "Only Tongue Can Tell" and "Circling the Circumference," while reading about British football in the 1950s tonight.
In particular, I was reading about Scottish football clubs, such as the late, great THIRD LANARK. Between 1872 and 1967, the "Thirds" were the GLASGOW club for supporters who wanted to enjoy football without the sectarian connotations of city giants RANGERS and CELTIC.
The Trash Can Sinatras' timeless, jangly sound is a great accompaniment to reading about defunct Scottish football clubs, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home