Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Farewell to my Golden Gate brick

How's this for a rude awakening?
I woke up today, checked email, and read a startling newspaper article my sister INGER forwarded to me.
About 7,500 commemorative bricks purchased as part of the 50th anniversary of the GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE will be demolished this week, part of an effort to make the pathway near the bridge compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
That means the ERIK HOGSTROM BRICK will be no more, and I never had an opportunity to show it to my daughters, KERSTIN and ANNIKA.
"ERIK HOGSTROM COLLEGE GRAD 88" is the brick's inscription.
I have long viewed it as a symbol: It's the part of me that remains at a place I love, even though I am thousands of miles away.
We tried in vain to find the brick during a family vacation to my hometown SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA.
Determined to finally locate the brick, my detective work eventually paid off. I felt unmatched euphoria when I finally found it.
I have visited my brick twice since, even introducing it to my wife JILL and Inger (feet pictured).
I never got to show the girls, though. That's why today's article was such a rude awakening.
Good bye brick. Now, I'll have to rely on my memories of home, instead of a symbolic "anchor."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home