Friday, January 13, 2012

Led Zep Week: All of our favorites

We hope you have enjoyed *LED ZEP WEEK* as much as we have.
The success of a single-themed week of posts at ROUTE 1 prompted officials to consider future series. Tentative plans call for weeks devoted to KARLHEINZ STOCKHAUSEN, GRANDPA JONES and KIDZ BOP.
For now, let us celebrate the legacy of LED ZEPPELIN by answering the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What is your favorite Led Zeppelin song?"
KERI M. -- "D'yer Maker."
MARY N.-P. -- Oh God this is embarrassing, but it's actually the much-maligned and parodied "Stairway to Heaven."
JIM S. -- As usual with music questions, it's too tough for me to pick just one. "Trampled Underfoot," "Rock and Roll" and "Over the Hills and Far Away" stand out, but I also can't leave out "D'yer Maker," "Whole Lotta Love" and "Fool in the Rain." My favorite album is "Houses of the Holy," and the most overplayed (and perhaps over-rated) is "Stairway to Heaven."
BRIAN M. -- It's so hard to pick a Led Zeppelin song just because it had so many phases to its career and had so many aspects to its music. But for right now, I'll go with "Since I've Been Loving You."
ANNIKA H. -- Who's Led Zeppelin? JUST KIDDING I don't know what my favorite is.
BRIAN C. -- "Living Loving Maid," especially right after "Heartbreaker."
SASKIA M. -- "Kashmir!!!!!!!!" (but I admit: I'm a sucker for "Stairway to Heaven" as well).
ERIK H. -- My favorite Led Zeppelin song changes every day. Some days, it's "The Rover," with its guitar-effects swagger, some days it's "Black Dog," with its incredibly complicated, endlessly looping riff and other days it's the beautiful, country tinged "Tangerine."
Today, my favorite is actually a trio of songs -- the three-song introduction to Side 2 (dating myself) of "Led Zeppelin II."
"Heartbreaker" features an indelible, crushing riff and Jimmy Page's non sequitur guitar solo; "Living, Loving Maid" sounds to me like an amped-up version of a bouncy, 1950s rock-n-roll jukebox classic; and "Ramble On" impresses with its wild, soft-to-loud dynamics and exquisite acoustic guitar playing. All three demonstrate not just the boundless talent of Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham, but the breadth of styles employed by the band.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home