Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Stones' peak performance

I am working a night shift (IOWA CAUCUS edition) so I had time this morning to clean the kitchen.
I listened to "EXILE ON MAIN ST.," the 1972 ROLLING STONES album that is either a lazy, aimless effort or the band's finest work, depending on the listener.
I am in the latter category: I think "Exile" is astounding.
Perhaps the album does sound like an unnecessarily murky mishmash upon first hearing.
I have listened to it many times -- I had it on cassette tape back in the day -- and can name at least nine classic songs from the album, including "Tumbling Dice," "Shine a Light" and "Torn and Frayed."
I am drawn to the album in part because of the presence of my favorite Stone, guitarist MICK TAYLOR.
KEITH RICHARDS has said he doesn't believe Taylor's virtuosic playing fit with the Stones' music. I think "Exile" helps prove the contrary.
On "Rocks Off" and "Stop Breaking Down," in particular, Taylor's guitar playing shines a light into the murky depths of the songs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home