Wednesday, January 12, 2011

All I need to know (about soccer)

I'm into my second decade as a subscriber to WORLD SOCCER, a British magazine that helps connect fans (fanatics?) to Earth's most popular sport.
I've buried my nose in this month's edition for the past couple of days.

Here are five things I learned from this month's edition:

1. Icelandic striker Alfred Finnbogason, 21, of Belgian side Lokeren, spent part of his youth in Edinburgh, and remains a supporter of the Scottish city's club, Hibernian.

2. Once mighty Bayern Munich struggled during the first half of the Bundesliga season in Germany, stuck in seventh place, 17 points behind leaders Borussia Dortmund.

3. Surprise French club Rennes can thank a quintet of young starlets for their rise: Yacine Brahimi, Romain Danze, Jires Kembo Ekoko, Sylvain Marveaux and Kevin Theophile-Catherine. All could figure in the French national side.

4. Coach Ever Almeida hopes to guide Guatemala to the country's first World Cup appearance.

5. The capital Montevideo is home to 15 of Uruguay's 16 top-flight clubs, including the historically dominant pair Nacional and Penarol.

You might think a magazine such as World Soccer would lose its relevance in the Internet age. I actually think the opposite is true. Information is ridiculously scattered across the World Wide Web. How would you know what to look for or where to find it?
World Soccer acts as a guide to the information that really matters... to a soccer fanatic such as myself, mind you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home