Saturday, January 01, 2011

Green makes a hard morning easier

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!
Well, 2011 began like so many mornings in 2010.

RORY THE INSOMNIAC DOG woke me up waaaaay too early.

I can never get back to sleep once the cold air of the outdoors hits my feet -- Rory really had to go out, apparently -- so I am sitting here listening to some blues while the rest of last night's revelers slumber (heck, I think Rory even went back to sleep).

Sometimes you hear about so-called "guitar gods" and think: Yeah, whatever.
I never think that about PETER GREEN.
I just heard his absolutely stunning work on the instrumental, "The Supernatural," on the classic British blues album, "A HARD ROAD," by JOHN MAYALL & THE BLUESBREAKERS.

Green would eventually form Fleetwood Mac, but in 1966 he had the unenviable task of replacing Eric Clapton in Mayall's band.

The next year, Green proved any doubters wrong with his great work on "A Hard Road,"
then he struck out on his own with former the Bluesbreakers rhythm section, drummer Mick Fleetwood and bassist John McVie, in Fleetwood Mac.
As ever, Mayall simply retooled, and future Rolling Stone Mick Taylor joined the band -- basically a nursery for the best British guitarists in a generation.

This album is so good, it just about makes up for the early morning doggy wake-up call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home