Monday, November 22, 2010

"If the people don't get on the floor, you're fired"

I put together a playlist of my LOU DONALDSON songs. I'm hoping his music can help propel me through what figures to be a busy work week.
Donaldson was an altoist in the Charlie Parker tradition whose style broadened in the late 1950s to become more blues-based and soulful.

His tracks became popular on jukeboxes, and he never lost sight of what he felt was his true calling.

Mark Anthony Neal's book, "WHAT THE MUSIC SAID: BLACK POPULAR MUSIC AND BLACK PUBLIC CULTURE" includes a statement by Donaldson in which the musician acknowledges the power of syncopated rhythms:

"That's the way jazz is supposed to be played. People got the wrong concept about what jazz is. Jazz is not running through a lot of notes and stuff. That's not jazz. What they call funk, that's not funk, that's jazz music. See, when I was a kid, all the jazz bands played for dancing. That's all they played for. When we play that style of music, it's to make people dance. Put a beat in there to make people get on the floor. Because, you get in these clubs and the cats say, well man, if the people don't get on the floor, you're fired."

I'm hopeful the Donaldson beat helps me race toward the finish line of my busy week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home