Thursday, September 17, 2009

Thanks Clancy Eccles, for helping me regain some sanity

"Don't you brag, and don't you boast, grief comes to those who brag the most."
I took a deep breath, and let it out slow as CLANCY ECCLES' song spilled out of the speakers.
"Why are you crummy, you're crummy fe true? Why are you acting like a bag a boo?"
The song "BAG A BOO (aka DON'T BRAG DON'T BOAST)" provided a valuable function this afternoon -- it helped me relax after a hectic day that came as a bit of a surprise.
About one-third of the way through a NEWSPAPER SYMPOSIUM, I learned that I would be *covering* the event as well as attending.
I don't know about you, but I take different notes -- and a different approach altogether -- when I am covering something as opposed to simply attending.
"When you were down, I helped you out. Now you've reached the top, you don't remember that."
There's a bit more stress involved, stress that Eccles' song helped eradicate.
"Why are you crummy, you're crummy fe true? Why are you acting like a bag a boo?"
The late Eccles made innumerable contributions to Jamaican music as a singer, record producer and political activist. He passed away in June 2005. "When you hear this beat I know you'll move your feet. You'll begin to wonder can you upset this beat. I'm the originator of the latest craze. I am the king of the reggae, I know my music sweet."
I credit Eccles with helping me regain some sanity.
I definitely did not want to act like a bag a boo. Whatever that means.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home