Saturday, August 30, 2008

Waking up to The Waterboys

I listened to "THE BEST OF THE WATERBOYS" while sipping my coffee this morning and preparing for day one of a busy, three-day weekend.
Band leader MIKE SCOTT changed musical direction for the "Fisherman's Blues" period of THE WATERBOYS.
The literature-inspired lyrics remained, but the music shifted from grandiose to eclectic, Celtic-inspired folk rock.
The song "FISHERMAN'S BLUES" is one of my favorites:
"I wish I was a fisherman tumbling on the sea, far away from dry land and its bitter memories.
Casting out my sweet line with abandonment and love. No ceiling bearing down on me save the starry sky above. With light in my head and you in my arms."
It became more difficult to hear The Waterboys on U.S. alternative radio after the band's shift in musical direction. That's a true shame, since they remained in a different league from so many other bands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home