Friday, August 29, 2008

Better start tearing up the yard for beetle larvae

The Farmers' Almanac is at odds with the National Weather Service over how cold it will be this winter.
ROUTE 1 readers weigh in on the fray by answering this week’s FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What do you think this winter will be like?"
DAVE B. -- Cold. Very cold.
BEKAH P. -- I decline comment. It is bad juju to guesstimate a terrible winter. Karma, my friends, karma.
JIM S. -- The temperatures are going to be normal, but I hope we'll flirt with the record for the least amount of snow in a season. Then I can fill a hole in my column schedule by asking various readers, staffers and their offspring what they think of the winter -- as I did this past season for the record of most snow.
CLINT A. -- After having our first freeze warnings of the season last night, seeing birds gathering for migration, skunks tearing up yards at a rapid pace for beetle larvae, and with the oaks already releasing their acorns, I am predicting that it is going to be an early, hard and long winter. I am making plans to install a wood pellet stove in the coming weeks so that we can have a nice, cozy warm house in February when the baby arrives. Typically, I notice in the winter that Dubuque temperatures are only 10 to 15 degrees warmer than Duluth (unless there is some strong front moving through, and then temps can vary more radically, but then, once the front leaves the region, temps return to that 10-degree difference).
MIKE M. -- I think it'll be like Emily Dickinson wrote: "There's a certain slant of light, On winter afternoons, That oppresses, like the weight of cathedral tunes.
INGER H. -- This winter? Probably dry and cold like the last one... at least this time I'll have central heating. Huzzah!

RICK T. -- It will be a COLD, early winter. Bundle up!
MARY N.-P. -- Not as cold, not so much snow as last year (but that would be impossible anyway). At least, that's what we are praying for at our house.
KERI M. -- Cold. Cold. Cold. The typical Saskatchewan weather, with patches of hot weather (planned trips).
ERIK H. -- I think the coming winter will pose the greatest challenge yet in our efforts to convince Rory the puppy to make all of her bowel movements outside. "Aw c'mon, Rory... It's only 10 inches of snow out there... Please go potty!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home