Thursday, May 29, 2008

Will I ever find a Japanese glass fishing float?

I have made several important discoveries during my visit to SAN FRANCISCO --
1) My new favorite sushi item: Spicy baked scallops on top of a California roll (available as the "Rock N Roll" at Sushi Bistro, 445 Balboa St.)
2) My new favorite cider: Magners, the red, Irish cider (available at various locations around town, including the 540 Club, 540 Clement St.)
3) My new favorite niche travel book: "Transit Maps of the World," by Mark Ovenden (learn more about the book here).
One thing I haven't discovered are any JAPANESE GLASS FISHING FLOATS.
Believe me, I have been looking my entire life for the soccer ball-sized floats, which allegedly wash up on the Pacific shore after breaking away from Japanese, Korean or Chinese fishing vessels.
I looked for some this morning at BAKER BEACH, but all I found washed up were a few large pieces of lumber (one with some oddly shaped, embedded iron pieces) and a dinner plate-sized jellyfish.
Of course, I don't know what I would do with a glass fishing float. I don't have enough room in my suitcase to bring it home.
I am not even sure my wife Jill would let me display it. The big glass ball would probably roll off the top of the computer desk.
It doesn't matter, though. I have been visiting the Pacific coast at least once a year for each of my 42 years, but I have yet to find even a fragment of a Japanese glass fishing float. I am sure I could purchase one at some shop in Japantown, but that would take all the fun out of the quest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home