Friday, May 23, 2008

Live from San Francisco -- It's FRIDAY QUESTION!

Well, here I am, sitting on a cable car in the fog, at Fisherman's Wharf, eating sourdough French bread with heaps of Rice-A-Roni and commemorative 1906 Earthquake tankards full of Anchor Steam Beer.
But enough of these tired San Francisco clichés, let's get right to this week's FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What song makes you think of California?"
DAVE B. -- "California Love," Tupac and Dr. Dre. The song is an almanac of the California cities.
MIKE D. -- "Sister Golden Hair," because I always remember my cousin telling me they heard it a lot on the radio during their long car ride to California for their family vacation in 1975.
RICK T. -- It has to be "I Left My Heart in San Francisco." I sing this song every time I'm somewhere they have karaoke. I do a pretty good job on it, too!
KERI M. -- "California" by Phantom Planet.
MIKE M. -- As an ammunition inspector for the government, my dad traveled to far off places every few months when I was a kid. To make up for being gone so much, he always came home with prizes for me and my brother. We had carved volcanic rocks from Hawaii, real machetes in decorative, leather sheaths from Panama, and hand-painted, wooden boats from Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. I've never been to San Francisco, but the song "Leaving On A Jet Plane" by John Denver, one of my dad's favorite musicians, makes me think about my dad heading off to California.
JIM S. -- "Hollywood Nights" by Bob Seger. It was way back in 1978 that I visited a friend named Andy Sviatoslovsky (yes, I can still spell it) who had taken a semester off from college to live in Mission Beach, Calif., near San Diego. That song was popular during the wild week we spent together.
BRIAN M. -- "Surrender" on U2's "War." I heard this late at night on San Francisco's KFOG while my friends and I were staying in a hotel just after we arrived on what was my first-ever trip to the Bay Area in May 1983. No radio stations in Grants Pass, Ore., played U2, and listening late at night to a station that played an ALBUM cut off a U2 album seemed so... exotic.
ERIK H. -- There is nothing quintessentially "Californian" about the song, but I always think of the Golden State when I hear "Heat of the Moment" by Asia. The first time I heard that song, my dad and I were driving into the Inland Empire area en route from Phoenix, Ariz., to the Bay Area when I was in high school. The gleaming freeways and heat radiation waves wafting toward the tops of the eucalyptus trees seemed to merge with the song, and now I cannot hear the song without remembering that drive into the heart of the Southland.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Cooper said...

Erik, how is Mark Twain enjoying his return to SF?

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home