Saturday, May 17, 2008

Ain't no half steppin' to work today

"Rappers stepping to me, they want to get some, but I'm the Kane, so yo, you know the outcome, another victory!"
My car remained at work last night, because we attended a nearby outdoor festival and drove the other car home. I work today, and it is so beautiful outside -- and I will be cooped up inside most of the day -- I decided this morning provided a great opportunity to walk to work.
I dialed up my HIP HOP PLAYLIST on the iPod to
help keep my steps lively during the half hour (or so) march through Dubuque.
The 85-song mix (a little more than six hours of tunes) heavily favors so-called "alternative hip hop" (the Pharcyde, Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, acts from the Stones Throw record label, A Tribe Called Quest, etc.) plus loads of Wu-Tang Clan (love the Wu!). I also sprinkled in some OLD SCHOOL, though, because well, I have to KEEP IT REAL.
This morning it was the Old School classic "AIN'T NO HALF STEPPIN'" by BIG DADDY KANE that kept my feet moving toward the office.
"I'm the authentic poet, to get lyrical, for you to beat me, it's gonna take a miracle."
It was on some rap compilation I had back in college, so I have heard this song for ages. I was amazed to discover this song is 20 years old.
"Competition, I just devour , like a pit bull against a Chihuahua."
I heard other songs during my stroll to work, but the one that remains stuck in my head is Antonio Hardy's ode to himself:
"Cause when it comes to being dope, hot damn
I got it good, now let me tell you who I am The B-I-G D-A-double D-Y K-A-N-E."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home