Saturday, May 10, 2008

The song that makes cleaning the litter box seem almost, well, pleasant

KEN PARKER cut a string of hits for Jamaica's biggest producers from the mid-1960s until his 1973 emigration to the United Kingdom (he eventually settled in Florida).
He was characterized as Jamaica's answer to Clyde McPhatter, and the song that really sends his soprano soaring is the marvelous "TRUE TRUE TRUE."

I listened to "True True True" while cleaning the cats' litter box this morning. I should have been disgusted and frowning.
Instead, thanks to this song, I was smiling from ear to ear.
The rhythm has become famous in Jamaica, recycled endlessly on various deejay and dancehall tracks.
In fact, I first heard "True True True" as "True True," the version by deejay U-ROY.
The deejay's version includes just enough of Parker's beautiful voice to send reggae fans searching for the original, which I found on an import compilation called "The Story of Treasure Isle." I purchased it several years ago in Reno, Nev., and I never tire of hearing it.
There's even a song on there that can make cleaning the litter box seem pleasant. Behold the power of music!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom G. said...

I have that same compilation. It's awesome. and it was budget priced too.

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home