Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Sometimes you just have to admit you were wrong

I admit it: I was wrong about BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE.
I completely missed their 2002 album "YOU FORGOT IT IN PEOPLE" on its original release.
The name didn't appeal to me... The fact there were at least 10 people in the band didn't make much sense... I had heard one song ("Cause = Time," I think) and didn't really like it.
So I let the album pass me by.
How wrong I was.
I have been listening to "
YOU FORGOT IT IN PEOPLE" for the past couple days now, and I am thoroughly besotted.
The songs are catchy and daring -- two attributes I will always cherish in music.
"Anthems For a Seventeen Year Old Girl" includes banjo, violins and the apparently effects-laden voice of Emily Haines and the song is wonderful. It's the sort of song I wish was played on local radio -- instead of the formulaic, sound-a-like crap that is played.
"Almost Crimes (Radio Kills Remix)" adds saxophone and rocking guitars to the mix.
The instrumental "Pacific Theme" sounds like it deserves to soundtrack a great film.
I could keep writing about "YOU FORGOT IT IN PEOPLE," but I think I have made my point: I was so busy judging a book by its cover (so to speak), I completely missed the classic found within its pages. Until now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home