Monday, September 24, 2007

Has it really been 20 years?

Now I feel as old as the kids say I am -- and they're mean, they always ask what it was like to ride on the back of a dinosaur.
Annika and I just heard a sound clip of the UK national charts show on BBC Radio 1 from early October 1987. Thanks to the emergence of computers, that show marked the first time the charts reflected that week's actual Top 40 (as opposed to the laboriously tabulated chart from five days' previously).
As Radio One DJ Bruno Brookes reached the top spot, Annika and I both wondered what would be No. 1.
"For the second straight week, the No. 1 spot is held by M/A/R/R/S," Brookes said.
Wow! As we heard the first few notes of "Pump Up the Volume," I turned to Annika and said:
"I know this one!"
How many times have I heard it? That's anyone's guess.
What I cannot believe is that it has been 20 years since the emergence of "Pump Up the Volume."
Surely that cannot be! Why, I used to dance to that song in college, and it can't have been 20 years since I was in -- oops. I guess it could have been 20 years.
My, that makes me feel old.
Not "riding on a dinosaur" old, but still old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home