Friday, September 21, 2007

Friday Question looks to the funny pages

ROUTE 1 readers appreciate the comic artists. Today, they answer the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What is your favorite cartoonist -- or -- what is your favorite cartoon or comic strip?"
Annika H. -- "Tintin," definitely "Tintin."
Dave B. -- This is a no-brainer: "Calvin and Hobbes."
Mike M. -- My favorite comics are quirky, strange, and nonsensical, like Berkeley Breathed's "Bloom County" and "Opus," Gary Larson's "The Far Side," and Bill Griffith's "Zippy the Pinhead." From The New Yorker: Gahan Wilson, George Booth, Roz Chast, and William Steig. From comics: Robert Crumb, Harvey Pekar, Joe Sacco, Daniel Clowes, and Guy Delisle.
Rick T. -- "The Flintstones!"
Madelin F. -- Favorite cartoon was "Nancy." My brother drew a spoof cartoon of me looking like her when I was little and I laughed until my sides hurt. Nancy, the cartoon, wasn't even that funny. I just liked the way it was drawn.
Rob K. -- "Doonesbury." Great imagination and creativity and the characters are a kick.
Mary N.-P. -- It's always been and will be "The Far Side" -- gently weird sense of humor (I can relate to that!).
Kerstin H. -- Chas Addams and his "Addams Family" cartoons.
Mike D. -- Growing up, my favorite comic strip was "Nancy" by Ernie Bushmiller. It was simply drawn and had minimal dialogue. Many years later, Gary Larson's "The Far Side" topped my list. His odd humor, usually dealing with misfits or the animal kingdom, was something new. The imagination of Bill Watterson's character in "Calvin and Hobbes" was also appealing. As far as the drawings themselves, the panels created by "Dennis the Menace's" Hank Ketchum (and successors) are truly works of art. Nowadays, I still find myself drawn to the simpler or single-panel comics like "Frank and Ernest," "Bliss" and "Lio." But my current favorite is "Dilbert." I guess I can relate to the office politics and personalities. P.S. -- Does anyone remember "Onion Ring," published in the Lorian in the mid-1980s? I didn't think so.
Brian C. -- If I have time to look at only one comic in a day, I check out "Dilbert." However, "Get Fuzzy" is a favorite, too.
Erik H. -- I will never forget the visual thrill of seeing my first collection of Will Eisner's "The Spirit" comics. "The Spirit" has been called "The Citizen Kane of Comics" because of Eisner's ground-breaking style. Action spills out of a frame on one page, or takes up an entire page without frames on another. Eisner broke the rules he felt should be broken to move along the story -- which was invariably entertaining. I have also adored Hergé's "The Adventures of Tintin" since I was a kid. The artwork is astounding, and the stories have kept me -- and now my girls -- riveted for years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home