Friday, July 07, 2006

Remember that first record?

This week's ROUTE 1 FRIDAY QUESTION asks readers to dip into their memory banks to recall the first record they ever purchased.
Dave B. -- "Cool Change" by Little River Band. A 45 that cost $.99.
Tom J. -- Greg Kihn Band's "The Break-up Song"
Rick T. -- The song called "Lonesome 7-7203" by Hawkshaw Hawkins.
Diane H. -- The first cassette I ever had was Wham's "Make it Big," which I received for Christmas in either fifth or sixth grade. The first cassette I ever purchased was the "Ghostbusters" movie soundtrack when I joined a music club at a young age. I think I liked Ray Parker, Jr. or something.
Shannon H. -- I don't remember the first one I bought myself. But the first album I remember really wanting and asking for was Men Without Hats, the album with "Safety Dance." Damn, I loved that song.
Ken B. -- "Venus" by Shocking Blue.
Mike D. -- When I was in high school, I think it was Twix candy bars that had a promotion for a free record if you sent in like 40 or 50 candy bar wrappers. For weeks, I collected them from friends, garbage cans and off the street, until I had enough. The 45 had four songs -- one each by Journey, Cheap Trick, Molly Hatchet and REO Speedwagon. Rock on, kids!
Brian C. -- I spent some of my paper route proceeds to buy "The Beatles Second Album." Believe it or not, it cost me $2.54 at EJ Korvette -- the ShopKo of its day -- in the Chicago suburbs. How (or why) I remember that amount, I can't say. But that was all it cost in 1964.
Erik H. -- Memories of my eight-track tape purchasing habits remain murky -- probably rightly so. However, I think my first eight-track that I purchased as "French Kiss" by occasional Fleetwood Mac contributor Bob Welch. Remember "Sentimental Lady" or "Ebony Eyes?" They were on that eight-track.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home