Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Italia Gran Finale

I was certain Germany v. Italy would finish in a penalty kick shootout win for the hosts.
Then, as if by some strange miracle, Grosso and Del Piero scored for the Azzurri in the final two minutes of extra time.
Cue tifosi leaping into fountains all over Italia. Cue me sipping a Peroni Nastro Azzurro and yelling: "I can't believe they did it!"
Since England crashed out, I have thrown my lot in with the boys in blue.
I have to work during tomorrow's France v. Portugal semifinal, but I have cleared my calendar for the final. I just have to get more Peroni Nastro Azzurro. It must be Italy's good luck charm.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Cooper said...

When Italy hit the post and then the crossbar in the second overtime, I assumed that the soccer gods would smile on host Germany all the way through the penalties.

The first goal was spectacular and 'clean' -- no question about whether anyone was offside or whether there was a foul on the play. After Italy's win over Australia on a questionable penalty at the end of regulation, a second win in that fashion would have been too much.

The second goal, of course, was due to the first. The Germans, already disheartened by Italy's late score, had to abandon defense in its desperate bid to tie the match. (Sort of like pulling the goalkeeper in ice hockey.)

Despite how they beat Australia, I too, have jumped aboard the Italians' bandwagon. I root for any team playing France, and I can't see myself pulling for Portugal over Italy.

What a tournament!

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home