Saturday, July 01, 2006

It's all over now

England won the World Cup the year I was born -- 1966 -- but won't be repeating the trick 40 years later.
The team went out of the competition on penalties to Portugal. The pain of the defeat amplified by the fact that England outplayed Portugal for nearly the entire match, even after Wayne Rooney's dismissal for a stupid bit of unnecessary aggression.
The girls cheered England on with me. We agonized together during the penalty shootout, too.
At least France beat overrated Brazil. I couldn't stand the commentators who before the tournament had proclaimed that Brazil's second team could probably win the cup easily. When it came time to play the matches, Brazil looked decidedly ordinary. So I suppose I'll be supporting France. They have the most Premiership players remaining in the tournament!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home