Sunday, May 29, 2005

Coffee, cream and "Honeysuckle Rose"


Sunday morning.
I suppose a person could plop an Iron Maiden CD into the stereo and be perfectly content.
Not me.
I've tried to combine coffee sipping with head banging. My nose got wet. Ick.
Nope, I have my own definition of "Sunday Morning Music."
Give me a languid piano ballad anytime.
This morning I have been enjoying Ahmad Jamal's "Portfolio of..." (1958) and "The Best of the Nat King Cole Trio: The Instrumental Classics." The latter CD compiles 18 tracks the trio recorded between 1943 and 1949 in Los Angeles.
Sure, Cole had a wonderful voice. I love his trio work of the late 40s because his inventive piano playing takes center stage for once. Guitarist Oscar Moore is also a forgotten genius. He could do more with 10 notes than most guitarists can do with 100 notes.
Later in the day, I might thrash about the place to Maiden's "Flight of Icarus" or "The Wicker Man." For now, I think I'll stick with "Easy Listening Blues" and "How High the Moon." And a dry nose.
Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home