Monday, May 23, 2005

Will you do the fandango?


I am off work today and I have been listening to Queen.
Here are my SIX GREATEST Queen songs:
6. "We Are the Champions" (1977)
I know, I know... It's the obvious one. Well, there's a reason why it's so obvious: It remains the single greatest song about winning a championship ever recorded!
Queen sound like a stadium full of supporters serenading Sheffield Wednesday after the Owls have just won the Champions League title. Only in my dreams, of course.
5. "Under Pressure" (1981)
The opening bass riff is the greatest in rock history... just ask Vanilla Ice.
The most remarkable thing about this UK chart-topping collaboration is its spontaneity. David Bowie just happened to be recording in a nearby studio in Montreax.
4. "Who Wants to Live Forever" (1986)
Queen at their most poignant.
Brian May wrote this classic and sings the first, plaintive verse. Then Freddie Mercury arrives for the remainder of the song.
Lines such as "This world has only one sweet moment set aside for us" have assumed additional emotional weight following Freddie's untimely death.
3. "Play the Game" (1980)
One of the catchiest songs in their canon... with tinkling pianos sharing space with crunching power chords.
I find myself singing along without realizing it. If I am in public, I ultimately stop singing when I notice strangers staring at me.
"My love is pumping through my veins, driving me insane."
2. "Don't Stop Me Now" (1979)
Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand summed up this song in a recent Q magazine:
"There's an air of abandon, like riding downhill on a bike with no hands."
... and my GREATEST Queen song is...
1. "Killer Queen" (1974)
The first Queen song I ever heard and still my favorite.
From the clicking finger snaps to the lyrics about caviar, etiquette and laser beams, this song was the most exotic thing I had ever heard.
See how sheltered we were, growing up in the Northern California suburbs!
Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

Blogger smacky said...

You'll probably never see this comment this far back in your archives, but I'm so glad I found your blog. Great stuff! And one of my favorite Queen songs is These are the Days. It's so nostalgic and bittersweet, since Freddie knew he was dying then, but he still looks back with fondness and love. It makes me happy and sad at the same time.

9:01 AM  
Blogger WEIJYE said...

0824jejeLes gens basket nike homme 2017 air max kaki 90 vont acheter des chaussures d'Adidas, Nike air jordan 11 basketzone Shox Deliver, Puma, basket nike homme 2017 tn et. La semelle intercalaire en asics chaussures trail PU anatomiquement conçue dissipe air jordan 3 retro france la force à l'impact. nike air jordan 12 retro Ces articles sont pour la chaussures nike air max 95 enfants plupart produits par des firmes chaussures de running homme internationalist nike agréées avec l'aide de nike air jordan 1 rouge la technologie la plus récente.

4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home