Thursday, March 24, 2005

Skatalites, please energize this grieving lad


Grief is an exhausting process. I have to help perform various errands today following the death of my mother-in-law, but I cannot seem to muster the necessary energy. I am hoping the Skatalites can help lift me. Arguably Jamaica's greatest band, this all-star collection formed in 1964 and disbanded in 1965. During their brief time together, however, they backed every early Jamaican vocal group of note while themselves producing an unequaled legacy of instrumental ska music. Trombonist Don Drummond and tenor sax players Roland Alphonso and Tommy McCook were the heart of the band, fueling such classics as "(Music is My) Occupation" and "Guns of Navarone." Hopefully, their bouncy genius will help propel me today.
Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home