Friday, March 18, 2005

Friday's question: What is your "desert island disc?"

It's an age-old question for music fans, but one which remains valid for its ability to get to the heart of a record collection: What one disc would you bring with you to a desert island?
Today's inaugural Friday's Question feature allows some randomly selected music fans (well... I did corner my daughters Kerstin and Annika and queried them, too) a chance to select their desert island disc and provide a short explanation...

Ken B. -- Pink Floyd, "Dark Side of the Moon"
"Somthing I can relate to as I drift off into madness. 'The lunatics are in my head.'"

Inger H. -- The Smiths, "Meat is Murder"
"For one thing, the intro to 'How Soon is Now' is as perfect a piece of music as has ever been written and aside from that, it's the perfect soundtrack for a lonely desert island."

Jim S. -- various artists, "The Tide is High" (a mix of 1960s-70s Jamaican ska, rocksteady and early reggae)
"It reminds me of island music."

Gary D. -- The Rolling Stones, "Some Girls"
"It has such a great selection of musical styles."

Steve M. -- Beethoven's Third Symphony
"It is something I could listen to over and over again without getting bored."

Dave B. -- Husker Du, "Warehouse: Songs and Stories"
"I used to listen to that all the time and I never get sick of it."


Diane H. -- Billy Bragg and Wilco, "Mermaid Avenue"
"It is a CD I don't think I would get sick of easily (which would be key, stuck on an island), and there are numerous songs on it that I like to sing loudly."


Mary P. -- Bob Marley, "Legend"
"It's the be-all and end-all record... of forever."

Chris S. -- Lynyrd Skynyrd, "Skynyrd's Innyrds"
"It's uplifting to me."


Amy G. -- The Beatles, "The Beatles" (aka "the white album")
"Because of the wide range of songs, from sing-along fun songs to make-you-think songs."

Matt M. -- Johnny Cash, "American IV: The Man Comes Around"
"You can't go wrong with the Man in Black."


Kerstin H. -- Cher, "Greatest Hits"
"She is a good singer."

Roseanne H. -- Vivaldi's "Four Seasons"
"It makes me feel good."

Matt K. -- Bob Dylan, "Blood on the Tracks"
"Because I am 32 years old."

Mike D. -- The Beach Boys, "Endless Summer"
"Well, if it's a desert island, I might as well have some beach music."

Mary B. -- Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor
"It has phrasing and the kind of sweeping orchestration that just lifts your soul."

Annika H. -- Sesame Street, "Platinum All-Time Favorites"
"It is my favorite record."

Scout S. -- The Beastie Boys, "Paul's Boutique"
"With its endlessly inventive use of sampling and tricky, rapid-fire wordplay, this is an album that was years ahead of its time; it never gets old."

Thanks to all those music fans who participated in the survey... Happy Friday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home