Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Can't seem to quit listening to "Collectors' Items"

I can't seem to quit listening to "COLLECTORS' ITEMS."
The 1956 studio album by MILES DAVIS features music produced at a pair of recording sessions, including one that paired saxophone legends SONNY ROLLINS and CHARLIE PARKER.
The album marks the only occasion Rollins and Parker recorded together and only the second time Bird (playing under the name "Charlie Chan," because of contractual obligations) was recorded playing tenor sax, instead of alto.
Rollins and Parker contribute to two takes of a tune called "The Serpent's Tooth," as well as versions of "Compulsion" and "'Round About Midnight." Along with leader Davis, the pair were joined by pianist Walter Bishop, bassist Percy Heath and drummer Philly Joe Jones, but I always focus on the saxophone playing. It sounds great while driving around in my car.
Critic Scott Yanow calls the music on "Collectors' Items" "classic, if often overlooked."
I imagine it's overlooked because Davis would assemble his classic Quintet -- with John Coltrane -- a couple of years later. That ensemble is considered among the greatest in JAZZ history.
I really enjoy "Collectors' Items." I must. I can't seem to quit listening to it the past couple of days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home