Saturday, October 12, 2013

'Surfer Rosa' and Albini's belated recognition of significance

Everybody else in the house is sleeping, so I am reading about the making of one of my favorite albums, "SURFER ROSA" by the PIXIES.
"FOOL THE WORLD: THE ORAL HISTORY OF A BAND CALLED PIXIES" by Josh Frank and Caryn Ganz is an excellent, comprehensive review of the influential band's story, told by the people on the scene.
Highlighted by such tracks as "Bone Machine," "Gigantic," "River Euphrates" and "Where is My Mind," "Surfer Rosa" marked a step forward for the band -- it marked the Pixies' full-length debut on 4AD and featured the imprint of engineer STEVE ALBINI.
The Pixies didn't fit the hardcore-influenced Albini's sensibilities.
"I never really got that level of interest with the Pixies," Albini says in "Fool The World." "I do genuinely like and respect the people in that band. I think Dave Lovering is a great drummer. I think Joey (Santiago) is an innovative guitar player. I think Kim (Deal) is probably the best singer ever, and I think Charlie (Thompson, aka Black Francis) is a talented and unique guy. But, the things that I like about that band, it's not really the music."
Albini appears to be in the minority.
"Surfer Rosa" was critically acclaimed upon its  March 1988 release and it has only grown in stature with each passing year.
The legacy is something now acknowledges, as he tells "Fool The World."
"I don't think that I regarded the band as significantly as I should have."
Coming from the infamously opinionated Albini, that statement merely affirms prevailing admiration for "Surfer Rosa," and the band that created it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home