Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Heavy metal sounds about right for thunderstorms

I know I shouldn't let the WEATHER dictate my musical choices, but sometimes I can't help myself.
How could I not listen to steamy dub reggae on a humid summer day? How could I not listen to the cold, synthetic beats of the '80s while it snows?
Similarly, THUNDERSTORMS put me in the mood for HEAVY METAL.
Our recent bout of storms prompted me to listen to SAXON -- one of the leaders of the NEW WAVE OF BRITISH HEAVY METAL.
I adore the twin screaming guitars of Paul Quinn and Graham Oliver, particularly on the band's 1980 single "747 (Strangers in the Night)."
Often, the characteristics of a good thunderstorm -- wind, lightning and the bass drum-like rumble -- seem to perfectly match both the music and lyrics featured in classic heavy metal songs.
So, maybe this is one time when it's OK to let the weather dictate my musical choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home