Sunday, November 25, 2012

If Kelly era ends, elevate Helfrich

I guess I'd better get accustomed to the idea of CHIP KELLY ending his reign as coach of MY BELOVED OREGON DUCKS and leaving for the lucrative pastures of the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE.
Apart from that ever-elusive National Championship, there seems to be little remaining for Kelly to accomplish at Oregon, which wrapped up the regular season yesterday with a 48-24 victory over THE DANGED OL' BEAVERS in the 116th CIVIL WAR game.
If Kelly does leave -- for the Chiefs, Jets or some other NFL franchise that would be lucky to get him -- I hope his successor at Oregon is current offensive coordinator MARK HELFRICH (pictured).
Previously the quarterbacks coach at Boise State, Arizona State and Colorado, Helfrich has roots that reflect those in my own family.
Like my late father, Helfrich was born in MEDFORD, ORE., and like my father Helfrich attended SOUTHERN OREGON in Ashland, too.
Helfrich tutored Jeremiah Masoli, Darron Thomas and now Marcus Mariota while with the Ducks.
I feel comfortable with him taking the reins of the rest of the team, if the Kelly era does come to an end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home