Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Golden State's allure has faded

When I was a kid, it seemed like everybody wanted to move where I lived, CALIFORNIA.
How times change.
I worked on a story at the newspaper today about migration figures from the U.S. CENSUS BUREAU.
Instead of acting like a resident-magnet, the once-golden state now finds itself topping the list of states experiencing "domestic outmigration" -- meaning residents moving to other states.
California lost 573,988 residents to other states while gaining 444,794 residents from other states, for a net loss of 129,239 -- slightly more people than live in Visalia. Births meant the population still grew, but the migration numbers show the allure of California has certainly faded.
California was the state of origin for four of the top-10 out-of-state migrations in 2010, losing residents to TEXAS, ARIZONA, WASHINGTON and NEVADA.
I joked among my coworkers: Perhaps I'll wait a few years, and move back to California. It might need some re-populating by then, with less traffic congestion to deal with, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home