Saturday, November 26, 2011

A Groove that is "simply scary," deeply infectious

Pitch black at 7 a.m.?
I blame it on the RAIN and the lateness of the year.
The darkness means everybody else is still sleeping -- including all three pets.
I'm sitting here by myself, earbuds in place, nodding my head to the funky sounds of RICHARD "GROOVE" HOLMES, a jazz organist who more than earned his sobriquet.
New Jersey-born Holmes began his musical career as a bassist, which probably explains the beats he continually conjured from the foot pedal of his HAMMOND B-3 organ (beats that have been heavily sampled in the hip-hop era). Music writer Steve Lodder described Holmes as "fluent with his feet," with a pedal action that set him apart from others wringing soulful sounds out of the Hammond B-3.
Lodder praises Holmes for his hands' abilities on the organ, too:
"The speed and articulation are simply scary."
Scary and remarkably funky.
Richard "Groove" Holmes never fails to get my head nodding along to the music. On an otherwise quiet morning like today, I'm even shaking my shoulders to Holmes' brilliant beat.

Heck, there's nobody watching: Even the pets are asleep in the gloom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home