Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A "Giant" what if...

After watching George Stevens' Texas epic "GIANT" recently, I was left to ponder what many film fans have thought after seeing the movie:
"What if... ?"
Specifically, what if JAMES DEAN had not died in a car accident before the film was released in 1956.
Where would his career have gone? Watching his performance of Jett Rink, I'm fairly certain he was separating himself from the pack of "teen heartthrobs."
Extrapolating his "Giant" appearance, I can see Dean following a route similar to Marlon Brando, with a method acting approach that would enable him to inhabit roles, not just portray them.
I don't think it's too far-fetched. Dean, along with costar ROCK HUDSON, were both nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role at the Oscars (Yul Brynner won the nod for "The King and I").
I also paid particular attention to MERCEDES MCCAMBRIDGE. It's easy to see why she was nominated as Best Actress in a Supporting Role at the Oscars (Dorothy Malone won the statuette for "Written on the Wind"). She was so versatile.
"Giant" is a long film, and it gave me plenty to ponder.